Skip to Main Content
Michigan State University masthead graphic

Giving Questions & Answers

  • What is MSU’s Employer Identification Number (EIN), also known as a Federal Tax Identification Number?


How can I make a gift?

  • By Mail
    Michigan State University Advancement, 535 Chestnut Road, Room 300, East Lansing, MI  48824
  • By Phone
    (517) 884-1000 or (800) 232-4678
  • Online

  • How do I make a gift of stock?

    A gift of securities can be made with an electronic transfer of shares to Michigan State University. MSU has accounts established with multiple brokerage firms. The stock value is determined by the average between the high and low trade values on the date the stock enters MSU’s account. For more information, please contact Keena Dunn at or (517) 884-1024.

  • How do I make a cash gift?

    Gifts of cash can be made by personal check or credit card.

  • What is a gift in kind?

    A gift of tangible personal property, such as a work or collection of art, rare books, stamp or coin collection, etc., entitles the donor to a charitable deduction based on the full fair market (appraised) value of the gift if the gift complies with the standard of “related use” regarding the designation at and use by Michigan State University.

  • What is planned giving?

    Planned giving includes a variety of philanthropic strategies that help you provide for MSU while also advancing your own financial and personal objectives. Through creative planning, charitable giving strategies are incorporated within estate plans to fulfill philanthropic goals, reduce income taxes, avoid capital gains and possible estate taxes, retain a life income, increase spendable income, and/or reduce costs of estate settlement. For more information on planned giving, visit

  • What are some types of planned gifts?

    Planned gifts can take many forms, including: will or living trust, also known as a charitable bequest; beneficiary designation; charitable gift annuity; deferred gift annuity; charitable lead trust or charitable lead unitrust; real estate or appreciated property.

  • How do I request an allocation code? (MSU Faculty & Staff use only)

    An allocation code is used to separate funds from multiple donors, recurring gifts or for specific projects.
    Phone: (517) 884-1024

  • What are some advantages to donating online?

    Online donations allow MSU to receive funds faster. You may also set up recurring donations, allowing you to make a gift by debit or credit card every month with one setup transaction.

  • If I make a gift will I receive a receipt?

    Yes. All donors receive a tax receipt from University Advancement for tax purposes.

  • How can I find out if my company will match my gift?

    Some employers provide matching gifts that can double or even triple the value of a gift to Michigan State. Many companies will also match gifts made by employee spouses and retirees. To find out if a company has a matching gift policy, visit

  • Can I make an anonymous donation?

    Yes. Please let us know if you would like your gift to remain anonymous and confidential.

  • Can I make a gift in honor or in memory of someone?

    Yes. If you have a loved one who has been impacted by Michigan State University, establishing a memorial or tribute gift is a meaningful way to honor your loved one or to celebrate a special occasion. Your gift will be a lasting tribute to your loved one and make a difference in the lives of our students, faculty, staff and community members.

  • Who can I call if I need help making a gift?

    If you have questions, please call the advancement office at (517) 884-1000 or (800) 232-4MSU (4678).

  • How can I get a duplicate tax receipt?

    Call the advancement office at (517) 884-1700.

Didn’t find an answer to your question?

Submit Question to University Advancement